News: Historic Flight Foundation Spitfire flies
Published 20 December 2010, 16:39
Supermarine Spitfire IX SL633 made its first post- restoration flight at Paine Field, Washington, USA, on October 15 with John Romain at the controls. Restoration of the fighter, which is owned by John Sessions’ Historic Flight Foundation, began in 2007 with Historic Flying at Duxford. It had its first engine runs in December 2009, and left Duxford in a container on August 10.
The Spitfire was brought out of Burma in 1999, arriving at Duxford in 2002. Originally delivered to 312 (Czech) Sqn at Manston on August 2, 1945, it was flown by Flt Lt Karel Posta DFC, a founder member of the unit, who had escaped from France in September 1940.
In August 1945 the Spitfires of the three Czech squadrons flew to Prague. In February the following year SL633 was repainted and coded JT-10; it now wears these markings again. Karel Posta continued to fly SL633, making frequent aerobatic displays in it. The fighter went to the Israeli Air Force in early 1949, and moved to Burma six years later.